Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Tokyo Day 1

By plane
From Japan


By Train
From Japan


From Japan


(but not automobile)


So I had a nice enough flight thanks to the wonders of eastern homeopathy (No Jet-Lag) and Western pharmaceuticals (clonipan) and quickly found myself on a train to Shinjuku station. I didn't have directions to my hotel and the maps I found were pretty cryptic so I asked two guys hanging out in the square near the station. After debating between themselves for a bit, they signalled for me to follow them and off we went. 10 minutes later with very little conversation inbetween (save "watashi no namae wa Andrew desu"), we were there. I was expecting them to ask for some sort of compensation for the guidance but they simply waved farewell after introducing me at the front desk. I even signalled that I'd buy them a drink but, they just smiled, shook their heads and were on their way. Nice.


So here's my lovely accommodations:

From Japan


I must say it l0oked cooler and all futuristic in the website, but in reality, the faded plastic and dial radio make it a little depressingly retro. Still an experience I suppose and it seems comfortable enough.

Time to pass out for now. Tomorrow the Meiji shrine? Shopping for super-hip electronics in Akahibara? The city is my rather large oyster and I think there's plenty of pearls to be found.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A personal guide to your accommodations? That is SO Japanese!