Friday, June 20, 2008

Chiang Mai

I immediately liked Chiang Mai more than big, bustling and dirty Bangkok. Maybe if I had taken the suggested canal rides I would have found Bangkok a little more charming, but I will say whatever charm may be there is overshadowed by thick plumes of tuk-tuk smoke and grime. Chiang Mai on the other hand is a little sleepier and serves mainly as both a jumping point for numerous treks into the north Thai jungles and as a commercial hub for the crafts of the various hill tribes in the area.

This morning I took a slow boat up river and had lunch at a quaint little restaurant and then up a serpentine road to a beautiful wat on the mountain top (camera battery died, so can't upload just yet). After that there was just enough time to meet up with my guide to get instructions for our trek tomorrow! I was a little nervous about what I was getting myself into, having booked the expedition through a travel agent as opposed to an organization recommended by my reliable Frommer's Thailand guide, but I think it will be a nice trip. The guide speaks pretty good English, seems very responsible (we drop off photocopies of our passports at the tourist police's office first thing in the morning), and a good sense of humor. My trek mates will be two Dutch girls, two Swedish girls (who were stunned when I chatted them up in their native tongue), a French couple and an Aussie/British man/woman pair--all seem quite nice. We'll be sleeping in the wilds, river rafting, riding elephants and visiting hill tribes in their villages...3 days, 2 nights, can't wait!

Also, on Abram's suggestion I confirmed my booking for The Gibbon Experience in Laos, which is gonna be awesome as well. Imagine camping out in tree houses in the middle of a nature preserve, hunting for the endangered black gibbons with zip lines as your mode of transport. Yes, a little pricey but going to a great cause.

OK, I'm signing off for a while...might not have a chance to blog again for a while but I'll have some great snaps when I'm back!

EDIT:
Ok, some pics from the wat on the mountaintop:




Looking towards enlightenment


I like the guy on his mobile

No comments: