Friday, July 11, 2008

Vietnam: Halong Bay

Halong Bay was absolutely stunning and despite being on the very lower end of the pay-scale, the accommodations were actually quite nice.

From Hanoi, a group of 12 or so of us took a minivan to Halong city where we embarked on our quaint yet charming junk. The scenery obviously was the highlight so I won't go too in depth into what we actually did, but we kayaked in the bay, swam, visited a cave and got our overpriced drink on at night. We spent just one night on the boat and then spent the next morning motoring back to the harbor where we were whisked back to the bustle of Hanoi. Here's some pictures from on the bay:


Despite looking overcast, the weather was quite pleasant


There's tiny little floating villages with submerged nets full of all manner of aquatic fauna


Sunset over Halong Bay

After spending a few hours in Hanoi, I embarked on my overnight "sleeper" bus to Hoi An--a city renowned for its excellent tailors. It's a real shame I never really have occasion to wear expensive threads since I could get a nice tailor made suit here for nothing...oh well. I was planning on only spending a day here before heading to Nha Trang but as tonight's bus is full, I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow. Time to hop on a motorbike and head to the beach!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andrew,

The beach looks BEAUTIFUL. The rock outcroppings are amazing. And I'm sure the photos do not do them justice either. I'm so glad you're having this experience!

xo
Jake

Kiran said...

The serenity is stunning, great job capturing those moments for those on US soil!